Monday, June 1

Research and Policy Intern, SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective

Grant Recipient: Class of 2011
Major: African American Studies and Feminist Gender Sexuality Studies
Organization: SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective
Location: Atlanta, GA

This summer, I am doing my part in the reproductive justice movement as an intern at SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective under the supervision of Heidi Williamson, Advocacy and Membership Coordinator. It has been incredibly rewarding both personally and professionally. I have had the opportunity work with women who each offer something invaluable to the organization. My internship at SisterSong has taught me a major lesson on what it takes to run an organization and become a part of the movement. It takes the coordinated efforts of many extremely dedicated people working both individually and collectively.

For the two months that I’ve been here, I have worked closely with Heidi on the preliminary planning for the Urban Initiative conference. We have toiled endlessly to ensure that the event will be attended by government officials, individual members and partner organizations. In addition, we have worked on creating a map of SisterSong’s widespread membership network. Most recently, I took part in Reproductive Justice training which has given me a strong sense of how SisterSong’s mission is implemented.