Monday, June 1

Urban Education Leaders Intern, District of Columbia Public Schools Office of the Chancellor

Grant Recipient: Class of 2010
Major: Economics
Organization: District of Columbia Public Schools Office of the Chancellor Urban Education Leaders Internship Program
Location: Washington, DC

I am working as a junior associate on the School Openings Team at the Chancellor's office for DC Public Schools (DCPS). The goal of School Openings is to ensure that schools are safe, equipped, and ready for instruction by the first day of school. I am responsible for a portfolio of thirty-six schools, and I work with principals to make sure each school is set in the areas of textbooks and supplies, facilities, scheduling, and staffing. Working for DCPS has been an incredible experience because of Michelle Rhee's astounding work in her two years as Chancellor. DCPS is at the forefront of education reform, and while the district still has a long way to go, I have been amazed to see change occuring right before my eyes. I have learned so much from my internship already because of the large amount of responsibility and accountability that my job allows me. Not only have I learned a lot about education reform, but I've greatly improved my skills in leadership, communication, and organization. In addition, I've gained a much clearer sense of what I want and don't want in a career, which is something that's very important to me as a graduating senior next year. Thus far, my time with DCPS has been both very enriching and very fun!